Lang Memorial Library was dedicated to the public on August 5, 1924 in honor of John August Lang, the first mayor of Wilson.
Mr. John August Lang and Mrs. Elizabeth “Lizzie” Luker Lang
Mr. John Lang and Miss Lizzie Luker were married on February 27, 1894.
Mr. Lang passed away on May 8, 1909 and Mrs. Lang passed on July 22, 1929.
Mrs. Lang bequeathed the following gifts to three civic groups in Wilson.
To the City of Wilson:
In 1923, Mrs. Lang donated $10,000 to construct a public library as a memorial to her late husband. Upon her death, Mrs. Lang left a trust fund of $10,000, with the interest from the trust fund to be used for the purchase of new books and for the upkeep of the library.
To the Wilson School District:
Upon her death, Mrs. Lang bequethed her home and three-quarters of a city block, on which her home was located, to be used for an athletic field, now known as Lang Memorial Field.
To the Wilson Cemetery Association:
Upon her death, Mrs. Lang provided funds for the construction of a metal fence along the front of the Wilson Union Cemetery and the adjoining,
St. Wenceslaus Catholic Cemetery.